Thursday, July 16, 2015

Doodletown Road - 16th July

A late start meant that birding at Doodletown was fairly slow. My main aim was to try and track down Empidonax flycatchers, and that aim was achieved with my first Acadian Flycatcher. Fortunately for me it was fairly vocal. I heard it first from some distance, got views of it, and finally watched it singing so was very happy with the ID. Hooded Warblers were also calling in  a couple of places. In both cases the birds were only using their distinctive 'chink' contact call. I heard two pairs calling to each other, in each case I only saw one individual, a juvenile both times.

Other birds included several Scarlet Tanagers and a Worm-eating Warbler.

Acadian Flycatcher.

Several Hooded Warblers calling today. Only two birds seen, both juveniles with very short tails.

A pair of Scarlet Tanagers
Juvenile House Wren
Canadian Tiger Swallowtail

No comments:

Post a Comment