Friday, July 31, 2015

Boreal birding in The Adirondacks - 29th July

A family trip to Lake George gave me the opportunity to make a sly morning trip to Bloomingdale Bog in attempt to try and find some Boreal birds. Star birds for me were the 3 Black-backed Woodpeckers and 4 Grey Jays that performed marvelously. I also managed to catch up with Alder Flycatcher which were numerous and vocal once I was in the right habitat. Lincoln's Sparrow were also easily found, not a lifer but welcome nonetheless. I failed on a couple of target birds. Boreal Chickadee are said to occur here, but in smaller numbers than the Black-capped that I found quite easily. Similarly I failed to find any Yellow-bellied Flycatchers. Next time...

Grey Jay are habituated to people on the trails in this area to such an extent that they are attracted to human voices, and will feed out of people's hands.


At least 3 Black-backed Woodpeckers seen, and a couple more heard
Lincoln's Sparrows were quite numerous
In one area of the bog the air was full of the song of Alder Flycatcher. They wouldn't come close for photographs however.
Female Magnolia Warbler
A couple of days after the visit to Bloomingdale Bog I visited Pack Demonstration Forest, where the first bird was this Broad-winged Hawk

Common Loon on the lake at Pack Demonstration Forest

No comments:

Post a Comment