Saturday, July 18, 2015

Seaside Sparrow - Brookville Boulevard - 18th July

The plan for today was to try and find one or all of the three marsh sparrows that occur in the New York area. After about 6 hours of slog, at Four Sparrow Marsh (couldn't get in), Plumb Beach ("none seen this year") and Marine Park (rain) I finally connected at my last stop. I'd been trying to find a site referred to as "Idlewild Park" on ebird when I drove along Brookville Boulevard that passed through some great looking habitat. At first the only sparrows visible were too far away to be identified, but one bird popped up very close...

Adult Seaside Sparrow. Look at that bloody enormous bill!
The yellow supralorals are a feature of this eastern race
Rings on both legs. I couldn't read anything on the white ring unfortunately, but I know several researchers are working on marsh sparrows on Long Island.

No comments:

Post a Comment