Sunday, March 8, 2015

Wilson's Snipe at Marine Park - 8th March

After missing out on birding last weekend I decided to try for a couple of recently found rarities. The first was a Barrow's Goldeneye which had been reported off Manhattan Beach Park. There were plenty of Common Goldeneye, along with Bufflehead, Long-tailed Duck, and a solitary Greater Scaup, but no Barrow's. I gave it about an hour, but the cold drove me back into my car somewhat unsatisfied.

Next stop was marine Park in Brooklyn, where I did find the Wilson's Snipe that has been reported for a couple of weeks. It associates with a Killdeer, and both gave excellent views. Not much else of note, barring a few American Tree Sparrows, and lots of singing Song Sparrows, the first sign of spring?

This Wilson's Snipe has been hanging around at Brooklyn Marine Park for a couple of weeks. I failed on my previous attempt to find it, so I was delighted to get such a close view today.
The differences between it and Common Snipe are slight, and when positioned like this are invisible! Unfortunately the bird didn't fly, preen its tail feathers or even stretch its wings. Next time.
The Snipe has been keeping company with this very obliging Killdeer. They make a bit of an odd couple.


Another duck-on-the-ice shot. This time a drake American Wigeon.

No comments:

Post a Comment