Saturday, July 11, 2015

Four Sparrow Marsh - 11th July

Four Sparrow Marsh is a rather obscure saltmarsh close to Floyd Bennett Field. It doesn't have an obvious entrance, or anything remotely approaching normal park facilities. What it does have however is interesting sparrows, and has long been on my mental list for a visit. Today I just tried to find out how to get in, and where to park. I did this by parking in the wrong place, and going in at completely the wrong spot! As a result I ended up covered in mud, and with no sparrows of any kind seen. What I did see was nice though, a very showy Marsh Wren, Common Yellowthroats everywhere (amazingly responsive to pishing), and good views of another Empidonax Flycatcher. The day wasn't wasted as I know where to go now!

This Marsh Wren became very confiding after initially hiding deep in the reeds and yelling at me.

In the end it became bold enough to leave the reeds to sing at me from a branch

Common Yellowthroats are extremely common in this habitat, and very reactive to pishing...
A female.
Empidonax sp. The eyering is not as clear as I'd expect for Least, and the habitat seems wrong for Acadian, so I'm guessing either Willow or Alder Flycatcher (which used to be lumped as Traill's Flycatcher)



No comments:

Post a Comment