Thursday, July 23, 2015

Saltmarsh Sparrow in Four Sparrow Marsh - 22nd July

My third attempt to try to get into Four Sparrow Marsh was a success. I parked at the northern extreme of Floyd Bennett Field and walked along the shore under the highway bridge at low tide. This led directly to the saltmarsh habitat I was looking for. The birds were a bit thin but I eventually got brief views of two Saltmarsh Sparrows. Other birds included another Empidonax flycatcher, a Spotted Sandpiper on the shore and Common and Least Terns .

Saltmarsh Sparrow, hiding in deep cover...
Another Empidonax flycatcher, probably either Alder or Willow.
Spotted Sandpiper


A family of four Raccoons trundling along in the saltmarsh. They seem to like this habitat, I always find their tracks when I'm in a marsh.


Access to the marsh: Park at the end of the North/south runway at Floyd Bennett Field, close to the model aircraft area. Walk west along the shoreline, under the bridge. The vegetation to the south will change abruptly to grass, and access will be possible. There are a couple of small paths through the marsh which lead to its heart. Right in the middle, close to the white spot on the satellite image, is where I found the Saltmarsh Sparrows. Only possible at low tide

No comments:

Post a Comment