Sunday, March 15, 2015

Snowy Owl at Jones' Beach - 15th March

Finally caught up with Snowy Owl on Jones' Beach this morning. The recent thaw made me think they might have moved north already, and I'd given up for the winter. I was delighted therefore to find a fantastic adult male sitting on the beach.

Other birds at the beach included several hundred Long-tailed Duck just off-shore, with even more flying past heading west. Also flying past were Black Scoter, with small numbers of White-winged Scoter and Surf Scoter. A juvenile Glaucous Gull was a nice surprise.

Adult male Snowy Owl. Wow, just....wow.
I dipped one of these in Skegness in January 1991. I'm sure there are British birders out there who know exactly the bird I mean. It's been a long wait, but worth it for this fantastic view.
A week ago this entire beach was covered in snow, and this bird would have been nigh on invisible.


Several small flocks of Black Scoter flying westwards just offshore.
I counted 620 Long-tailed Duck flying west in about half an hour.
Common Loon.

1 comment: