Thursday, May 4, 2017

Tennessee Warbler in Central Park - 4th May

Having a slightly later start than I would have liked, I decided to bird the North Woods this morning, thinking it would give me more time in the field, and less time marching. It was inevitable therefore that something good would be found in the Ramble, and sure enough, when I checked Twitter at 9:10 I saw that a Tennessee Warbler had been found singing by Turtle Pond. That was only a mile and a half away! I hot-footed it down there and was on site by about 9:30. A brilliant male, feeding actively in a tree, pausing occasionally for a burst of song.

Other first-of-year birds so far this week included: Cape May Warbler, Chimney Swift and Orchard Oriole by Summit Rock and a Spotted Sandpiper near the reservoir on Tuesday, and Black-throated Green Warbler and Black-throated Blue Warbler in the North Woods today.

Male Tennessee Warbler



Male Cape May Warbler
Female Black-and-white Warbler.

Juvenile male Orchard Oriole
Baltimore Oriole

Spotted Sandpiper

No comments:

Post a Comment