Sunday, May 15, 2016

Least Flycatcher at Jones' Beach - 15th May

I decided to try Jones Beach today for a change. Not bad diversity, though numbers overall were a bit low. The first of two highlights was an interesting Empidonax Flycatcher which I think was Least Flycatcher. Best bird though was a male Chuck-Will's Widow that I disturbed while walking through the pines on the median strip.

Other birds included Magnolia, Yellow-rumped and Black-and-White Warblers, Northern Parula, Ovenbird, Brown Thrasher and Rose-breasted Grosbeak.

At the Coast Guard Station a flock of waders included 38 Grey Plovers and 52 Red Knot.

What I strongly suspect is my first Least Flycatcher. While it didn't call, there are a couple of pointers. The clearest indicator is the strong pale eye-ring visible here.

It also has a fairly short primary projection...
...and a "round body with thin tail" to quote Sibley. Quite an apt description I think.


Blue-headed Vireo

No comments:

Post a Comment