Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Clarence Fahnestock SP - 30 June

A very nice morning's hike on a small part of the Appalachian Trail at Clarence Fahnestock SP. First up was a marvelously confiding Worm-eating Warbler just off the trail. Birds were a little hard to spot early on, so I tried randomly pishing to see what would happen. The answer was 'a lot'! Birds appeared out of nowhere, I don't know why pishing is so effective here but it is, much more so than anywhere else I've been. The most reactive species seem to be; Grey Catbird, (which comes immediately if it's within earshot), Eastern Towhee (seem to materialise out of thin air. Came every time), Veery (9), Wood Thrush (1) and warblers in general. Warblers seen included Chestnut-sided (6), Black-throated Blue (4), Ovenbird (7), Prairie (2), American Redstart (5), Black-and-white (8), Common Yellowthroat (1) and Worm-eating (2).

My main target had been flycatchers, but I only found 2 Eastern Pewee. Next time.

Cracking male Chestnut-sided Warbler, my first sighting this year.
Female Chestnut-sided Warbler, with a smaller black moustache, and less chestnut on the flanks
Worm-eating Warbler, reminds me of Aquatic Warbler with that stripey head


Male American Redstart
Red-eyed Vireo...
...showing the red eye.

Veery
Male Eastern Towhee...

...and a female

No comments:

Post a Comment