Monday, January 5, 2015

Winter Geese - 5th Jan

My school starts back on Tuesday this week, so I decided to use my unexpected extra day's holiday looking for some wintering geese that have been hanging around the complex of cemeteries on Long Island. The first flock I encountered held the Barnacle Goose that had been present for a couple of weeks. Further scrutiny produced at least one candidate for Cackling Goose, though none were convincing, all the smaller birds being more like 'Lesser' Canada Goose. This is not an easy group of species and I have a way to go before I can separate all the various races.

Barnacle Goose. A long range shot, unfortunately it moved further away and soon took off, along with half the Canadas. The bird on the left looks like a candidate for either a Lesser Canada Goose, or even a Cackling Goose, though the bill is still a little too large, and the upperparts no different from other birds nearby. I need more practice!

This was pointed out to me as a Cackling Goose. Despite the small build, short neck and and darker breast however it lacks the squarish 'boxy' head and tiny bill. It should also have a 'frosty' sheen to the upperparts. This therefore is one of several races of 'Lesser' Canada Goose.

No comments:

Post a Comment