Sunday, November 20, 2016

Ash-throated Flycatcher in Lido Beach - 20th Nov

Two separate Ash-throated Flycatchers were seen in New York this weekend. A bird has been present at a small park in the town of Lido Beach, on the south shore of Long Island, since last weekend. A second was found at a small park in Brooklyn. I decided to try for the Lido Beach bird, a smart choice as it turns out, several birders were pulled up by the NYPD in Brooklyn as the park wasn't really a public park. The clue was that you had to sneak through a hole in a fence to get to it. I believe a couple of summonses were issued.

Despite the very high wind blasting the coast today I found the Ash-throated Flycatcher after about half an hour of searching.

Quite a smart individual all round.

The only other one of these I've seen was in Connecticut almost exactly a year ago, so a state bird for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment