Thursday, April 28, 2016

Swainson's Warbler in Central Park - 28th April

Yesterday saw quite a fall of spring migrants in Central Park, particularly warblers of which 20 species were reported. I was on my way to the Ramble see if any of this bounty had lingered overnight when I saw a Swainson's Warbler had been reported from Strawberry Fields. I rapidly changed direction, grabbed a taxi and was soon on my knees peering under the shrubbery. After 10 minutes or so I relocated the bird, and after ogling it for a while in peace I spread the news. Initial views were very poor, but it stayed fairly static, bursting into song every now and then and in time I got some excellent views, and some semi-decent pictures.

Elsewhere in the park it was fairly quiet with a Northern Waterthrush from the Oak Bridge being the best of the rest. No matter, with such a mega in the bag I was a very happy birder as I headed off to work.

The bird spent most of the morning either rooting around in the leaf litter...
... or perched motionless on low branches in the densest bushes it could find.

When it did show itself it was a little cracker!
When twitching a Swainson's Warbler you can either see the bird, or retain your dignity, but not both!



No comments:

Post a Comment