Thursday, January 7, 2016

Wilson's Warbler in Central Park - 7th Jan

Another Central Park foray, this time to pick up on a couple of over-wintering warblers. The first was a gorgeous little Wilson's Warbler on the Great Hill, in the section known as the eastern blowdown meadow. I found this very quickly, and it was extremely obliging, causing me to move back several times in order to get it in focus.

Next stop was a mile or so south, between The Met and the 79th st traverse where a rather drab Orange-crowned Warbler has been hanging out. This was much trickier, giving only brief views after about an hour of waiting around. I shall have to try again tomorrow.

Apart from that the best bird was a juvenile Cooper's Hawk having a staring competition with a squirrel

Female/ first year Wilson's Warbler

Orange-crowned Warbler

Juvenile Cooper's Hawk

A bit of a stand-off. I must admit I wouldn't take on a Central Park squirrel without heavy gloves so I know where my money would be here...

1 comment:

  1. I saw her this morning in the eastern blowdown. She was fliting around the Holly Trees

    ReplyDelete