Saturday, August 29, 2015

Peru, Paracas Reserve 28th & 29th Aug

On the last morning of the trip I had a very rapid drive around the Paracas reserve. Desolate does not begin to describe it, barring the two large bushes at the environmental centre I didn't see a single living plant. Every bird I saw was at the water's edge. It reminded me of the more featureless parts of Namibia, and with good reason, the climatic conditions are remarkably similar. The birds were interesting though. I'd say in winter the bay will hold a fabulous selection of wintering waders. There were a fair number present already, the most interesting of which were the Western Sandpiper showing well near the marked path onto the flats and the tagged Semipalmated Sandpiper in the same area. Other waders included Sanderling, Grey Plover, Semipalmated Plover, Whimbrel, Greater Yellowlegs and American Oystercatcher. Another feature is the 300 or so Chilean Flamingos here. Until today I'd only seen juveniles, but the adults with their bright red 'knees' are marvelous. The only Black Skimmers I saw were here, and there were also White-cheeked Pintail and Elegant Tern. I'm fairly sure Peruvian Terns were also in the area, but I only got distant flight views and didn't find the roost.

Chilean Flamingo.
Grey Gull
Grey-hooded Gull
Kelp Gull
Black Skimmers in amongst the Grey Gulls
Elegant Tern
Grey (Black-bellied) Plover
Semipalmated Plover
Tagged Semipalmated Sandpiper. Ringed on 12/12/12 in the same general area, this is the first time it has been recorded since being trapped originally.
Western Sandpiper
American Oystercatcher

Peruvian Pelican
White-cheeked Pintail
Guanay Cormorant




No comments:

Post a Comment