Monday, October 13, 2014

Central Park - 13th Oct

Columbus Day is a holiday I've not met before, but any day off during migration season gets my wholehearted approval. I'd intended to spend a solitary morning, starting at Strawberry Fields and working my way to The Ramble. I found that an organised birding group had exactly the same agenda, so I joined them, and had a very pleasant morning. Bird of the day was definitely Eastern Towhee, if I saw one I must have seen 15. There were also inordinate numbers of Ruby-crowned Kinglets everywhere. Apart from that highlights included a couple of male Black-throated Blue Warblers, 2 Blue-headed Vireo, a Wood Thrush, half a dozen Hermit Thrush and two Purple Finches at the bird feeders.

The reservoir still had a flock of Ruddy Ducks, 35 there today.

Eastern Towhee.
Male Black-throated Blue Warbler.
Red-bellied Woodpecker.
Purple Finch.

No comments:

Post a Comment